Display, elegantly, 012345678 or 9! Gaze, hypnotized, at ABCDEFGHIJKLM - well it can display the whole alphabet. You get the point. This is a nice, bright alphanumeric display that shows letters and numbers in a beautiful red hue. It's super bright and designed for viewing from distances up to 23 feet (7 meters) away. Digits have seven red segments on a black surface and we give you a set of two alphanumeric displays as well as a driver board so you can make a clock or a four letter word.
Like our other LED backpacks, these are end-to-end stackable and by soldering the address jumpers on the back you can have up to 8 backpacks all sharing the same two I2C wires!
To get you going fast, we have revised this popular board to be the same size and pinout as before but now with two STEMMA QT connectors on either side that are compatible with the SparkFun Qwiic I2C connectors. This allows you to make solderless connections between your development board and the HT16K33 or to chain it with a wide range of other sensors and accessories using a compatible cable.
This product comes with:
- 2 x Ultra-Bright Red Alphanumeric Display - 0.54" Digit Height for 4 digits total
- 1 x Adafruit 14-segment LED Alphanumeric Backpack
- 1 x 5-pin header
A bit of soldering is required to attach the matrix onto the backpack but its very easy to do and only takes about 5 minutes. Of course, in classic Adafruit fashion, we also have a detailed tutorial showing you how to solder, wire and control the display. If you've been eying alphanumeric displays but hesitated because of the complexity, this is the solution you've been looking for!
- As of August 9, 2022 - The backpack now comes in STEMMA QT format. Functionality and schematic remain the same, physical shape has changed to make it plug-and-play, much easier to use
Alphanumeric Display Dimensions:
- 21mm x 25mm x 7mm / 0.8" x 1" x 0.3"
- Height w/ Pins: 14mm / 0.6"
- Weight: 4.7g
- 28mm x 51mm x 4mm / 1.1" x 2" x 0.2"
- Weight: 5.5g
Documentation and Downloads